My Native Tongue

Anyone who has ever traveled to a foreign country where theirs is not the prevalent language, has probably noticed that they can hear their mother tongue spoken even across a crowded and noisy room. My ears are keener still, for I can hear my native tongue spoken from 4 blocks away! My native tongue is Bullshit. When, in the same foreign country, a native of that land tries to converse with you in your own language, you appreciate the effort, regardless of how clumsy their attempt may be. After a while, however, even the most polite traveler, may note that prolonged exposure to the butchering of their mother tongue tends to grate on one's ear. In this, I am no different. While I appreciate those of you who try to speak proper Bullshit to me, after successive clumsy attempts, it does offend my ear. For this reason, I shall try to confine my musings to English, but, should I occasionally lapse into my Native Tongue, please, bear with me and do not feel obliged to join me on a similar linguistic tangent. If this note offends you, you should probably leave now, before my thoughts on Religion and Politics cause you serious distress.

Tears and Rage

When I was a child I was taught of America. It was a Fabled Land where the milk and honey of Freedom ran in the streets, conceived by an idealistic people who, having felt themselves oppressed for so long, rose up and threw out their oppressors. It was born of a miracle of courage and determination that led landed gentry and peasant farmers, merchants and tradesmen, Protestants and Catholics to see beyond their personal differences, band together, and rise up as one, declaring to the world, "We will bear the yoke of tyranny no more!" And I believed. From the spacious skies to the amber waves of grain, I believed. I was fortunate enough to be able to travel this land from sea to shining sea, and I believed. Then I saw poverty and hunger. I saw ignorance and bigotry. I saw hatred. I asked how these could exist in such a glorious and just land, and, much like the boy who could not see the Emperor's New Clothes, I was shushed. So I did as I was told, and I was quiet. I did as I has been taught, and I believed. I still do. The words that will follow in this place do not evince any change in that belief. Rather, it is as a result of that belief that I feel compelled to write them now. If you have known something precious when it was bright and new, and then you see it tarnished and worn, even cast down in the mud and trampled upon, do you not weep to see its abuse and do everything in your power to lift it up and repair it as best you can? If you know that abuse to be deliberate, do you not feel rage? I see this Fabled Land, once a shining beacon in the night to the oppressed throughout the world, now tarnished and soiled. Her noble flag, woven of hope in the face of despair, and defended with the blood of her Heroes, that blessed Star Spangled Banner, I see now tattered and worn. I weep to see these abuses, and I would repair them. I see the sacred parchments of "We the People" and the precious ideals they espouse cast down in the mud and wantonly trampled. I see the very precepts upon which this nation was founded twisted and betrayed for personal gain, and I rage! This does not mean that my belief has been lessened. My Faith in this nation and that for which it once stood is stronger than ever. It is those things for which it has been made to stand that give me pause. It is the flagrant usurpation of individual freedoms, once held so dear, that move me to tears. It is the brazen betrayal of the public trust for political and financial gain which leads me to rage! I am not moved to such strong emotions by any weakening of my belief, but rather by its strength. I still believe. But I also still see, and, unlike that child who questioned so long ago, I will no longer be shushed. The Emperor has NO new clothes! In fact, he's stealing yours! These are my tears. This is my rage. Where, in the name of all that is right, and just, and decent, are yours?

Friday, January 18, 2008

Killing King Kong



The wheel turns, the seasons pass, the world adds yet another bark-ring to its thermally threatened girth, and Time marches on, in that plodding, straight-line manner it always adopts whenever the humans are watching closely. The last slurred echoes of “Happy New Year!” carom off the dirty walls of vague memory, and all the clocks reset to one.

Inside the dingy pub of my subconscious mind, the floors are getting a thorough sweep and mop, as I struggle gamely to focus on what will be my next great cause. So many windmills, so little beer. In a smoky back room my Trust in Government is playing pool with The Corporate Machine. As always, money is discreetly involved. The few snippets of conversation which carry to the next room do not bode well for either my money or my Trust.

“Really?” says my Trust in Government, “The one who breaks, always gets two turns on Tuesdays? And you get to alter the rules as you see fit?”

“Absolutely!” say The Corporate Machine, “If you don't believe me, ask The Government.”

“What ever Corporate says is fine by me,” chimes in The Government in its official capacity as referee.

“Well, if The Government says it's okay...” Never, in the history of words, have any words so clearly summarized the phrase, “Not bode well.” My wallet might just as well be balemic. No sooner do I feed it, than the twin fingers of The Government and The Corporate Machine are jammed down its throat with the most predictable and projectile of effects.

I often think it would be much simpler if every time my Trust in Government saw The Government and The Corporate Machine coming it would just lie on its back and start saying, “Beige. I think I'll paint the ceiling beige.” It is among the most time honored of coping mechanisms.

At the bar itself, my Thirst for Knowledge is reading the ingredients on a bottle if FOX News, and silently weeping at the amount of artificial flavorings and Red-White-and-Blue Dye No. 3. My Need to Find Meaning in It All lies slumped over its bar stool. With Dick Clark out of the equation, why bother? My Illusion of Purpose is passed out on the floor, much the same as last year and the year before that. Repeated taps by the broom and splashes from the mop have elicited no response. Once again, as in years past, someone has drawn cat whiskers on his face in indelible ink and his right hand is in a bowl of water which was obviously warm enough when it was introduced.

Me? I'm the one pushing the broom. Each year I'm the one who has to try to make sense of the besotted shrapnel that was once a lucid mind. Each year I have to decide what to keep and what to throw out. Neither confetti nor self-recrimination are attractive in the harsh light of the morning after.

Perhaps this year I'll start by getting rid of that big Tobacco monkey on my back. I call him Kong. He was a cute, little Reese's monkey when he boarded, but in the years since then he's grown to Hollywood preportions. After giving him the best thirty years of my life, what has he ever given back to me? A hacking cough? The lung capacity of a ninety year old? Clothes that smell like an ashtray? I keep throwing money at him, and he keeps throwing back what monkeys have always thrown since the dawn of time. How hard can it be? It's only a monkey. A giant, clawed, starving, thirty foot monkey.

“No antidepressants,” says I.

“Just the thing,” says the doctor.

“One hundred and sixty seven dollars,” says the pharmacist!

“Beige,” says I, “I think I'll paint the ceiling beige.”

The box warns that, among other things, the medication may cause, “unusual dreams.” Really? For me? This is my reality and they think they can go me one better in my dreams? Bring it on, rookie!

Reports from previous users say that in a week or two cigarettes will start to taste nasty. Start? Just in case, I've started switching over to a brand whose flavor is widely known to be so noxious that the only reason people smoke them is in an effort to quit.

I tell you all of this to remind you that when the smokers in your life start snapping at you or yelling for no reason, it's not their fault. They're just trying to get the Tobacco monkey off their backs. They're killing King Kong.

For those of you who never smoked... Yes, we know. You're the smart ones. We were stupid. Let it go. Nicotine acts like a Dolby system for the brain. It helps dial down all those petty annoyances. You know, like those people berating us for smoking in the first place. So if you truly want to help us quit, try not adding to the chaos of reasons that make our brains cry out for the muffling peace that the monkey offers. Try not flinging any of what the monkeys fling. At least until we're done.

Spotting the smokers who are trying to quit will not be hard. Our hair will look like Nick Nolte's mug shot. Our eyes will look like Marty Feldman on a four day coke binge, and our shoes will probably be on the wrong feet. If barefoot, our feet may be on the wrong legs. I can't explain it. I just know it's true. Most noticeably though, every three to five minutes we will yell, “I WANT A %$&#&ING CIGARETTE!”

Please. Be gentle.

No comments: