My Native Tongue

Anyone who has ever traveled to a foreign country where theirs is not the prevalent language, has probably noticed that they can hear their mother tongue spoken even across a crowded and noisy room. My ears are keener still, for I can hear my native tongue spoken from 4 blocks away! My native tongue is Bullshit. When, in the same foreign country, a native of that land tries to converse with you in your own language, you appreciate the effort, regardless of how clumsy their attempt may be. After a while, however, even the most polite traveler, may note that prolonged exposure to the butchering of their mother tongue tends to grate on one's ear. In this, I am no different. While I appreciate those of you who try to speak proper Bullshit to me, after successive clumsy attempts, it does offend my ear. For this reason, I shall try to confine my musings to English, but, should I occasionally lapse into my Native Tongue, please, bear with me and do not feel obliged to join me on a similar linguistic tangent. If this note offends you, you should probably leave now, before my thoughts on Religion and Politics cause you serious distress.

Tears and Rage

When I was a child I was taught of America. It was a Fabled Land where the milk and honey of Freedom ran in the streets, conceived by an idealistic people who, having felt themselves oppressed for so long, rose up and threw out their oppressors. It was born of a miracle of courage and determination that led landed gentry and peasant farmers, merchants and tradesmen, Protestants and Catholics to see beyond their personal differences, band together, and rise up as one, declaring to the world, "We will bear the yoke of tyranny no more!" And I believed. From the spacious skies to the amber waves of grain, I believed. I was fortunate enough to be able to travel this land from sea to shining sea, and I believed. Then I saw poverty and hunger. I saw ignorance and bigotry. I saw hatred. I asked how these could exist in such a glorious and just land, and, much like the boy who could not see the Emperor's New Clothes, I was shushed. So I did as I was told, and I was quiet. I did as I has been taught, and I believed. I still do. The words that will follow in this place do not evince any change in that belief. Rather, it is as a result of that belief that I feel compelled to write them now. If you have known something precious when it was bright and new, and then you see it tarnished and worn, even cast down in the mud and trampled upon, do you not weep to see its abuse and do everything in your power to lift it up and repair it as best you can? If you know that abuse to be deliberate, do you not feel rage? I see this Fabled Land, once a shining beacon in the night to the oppressed throughout the world, now tarnished and soiled. Her noble flag, woven of hope in the face of despair, and defended with the blood of her Heroes, that blessed Star Spangled Banner, I see now tattered and worn. I weep to see these abuses, and I would repair them. I see the sacred parchments of "We the People" and the precious ideals they espouse cast down in the mud and wantonly trampled. I see the very precepts upon which this nation was founded twisted and betrayed for personal gain, and I rage! This does not mean that my belief has been lessened. My Faith in this nation and that for which it once stood is stronger than ever. It is those things for which it has been made to stand that give me pause. It is the flagrant usurpation of individual freedoms, once held so dear, that move me to tears. It is the brazen betrayal of the public trust for political and financial gain which leads me to rage! I am not moved to such strong emotions by any weakening of my belief, but rather by its strength. I still believe. But I also still see, and, unlike that child who questioned so long ago, I will no longer be shushed. The Emperor has NO new clothes! In fact, he's stealing yours! These are my tears. This is my rage. Where, in the name of all that is right, and just, and decent, are yours?

Friday, January 18, 2008

Joseph





“Crystal bright days of seventy eight degrees simply do not feel like Christmas. They never have and they never will. While I have often joked that white sand dunes are excellent alternatives to pristine banks of wind driven snow, even I know it is not true. They are in fact poor substitutes, at best. Just as 'Twenty nine shopping days left before Christmas' is a poor substitute for 'Peace on Earth and good will to all men.'

There are times when I am concerned that all that remains of the old Christmas Spirit are twelve strands of tinsel, a handful of shards from a broken glass ball, and four splinters of an ancient Yule log. Even these tattered remnants only survive because no one has yet found a way to sell them, and they stubbornly refuse to rot.”


Those cynical words are over twenty years old. They are my own. As you may well guess, they were penned during what will be generously termed “not a good time.” One of the benefits of far removed retrospection is the ability to airbrush out the worst of the blemishes in your own past. I have kept these words, etched on one of those big vacant walls in the many vast and cluttered back rooms of my mind, because each year I know these sentiments shall revisit me, and I shall have need of these words again.


I keep them not so that I may have a ready rant available; I have tons of those in another room. I keep them because attached to them is the memory of how they were proven so wrong then, and so must remain wrong still. In the memory of disproving my own “Bah, Humbug!” in the past, I find assurance in disproving all others in the present. I found my lost Spirit of Christmas, due in large part to a man ironically named Joseph.


Joseph had eerily pale eyes with a long, vacant stare that very clearly said four dollars short of a nickel and probably not your next good chess game. More specifically, Joseph was schizophrenic. A somewhat functional schizophrenic, in that he could do day-labor jobs if he could find any, and he could feed himself, if he was lucky.


When I met him, he hadn't been very lucky lately. It was the late eighties and the Reagan administration, in drastically reducing the Federal budget for mental health care, had just turned thousands of Josephs out onto the streets. At first I had done what most of us do when we meet someone like Joseph. I had slipped him a few bucks, and remembered my father's words at such times. “There, but for the Grace of God, go I.” I then, lacking the Grace of a God, had gone.


I encountered Joseph again, some weeks later, while taking a shortcut walking home, in a small stand of woods behind a Burger King on U.S. 1 in Cocoa. I came upon a cardboard refrigerator box that was Joseph's current home. I again insisted he take a few bucks, and upon returning home, came back with an assortment of canned goods, a can opener, a jug of water, and a couple of cans of sterno to heat them on. I am sad to say, that was the extent of my help – at least until several days later.


The weatherman announced the coming of a large cold front. The temperatures that night were going to plunge well below freezing, with wind chill we going to be in the teens! Maybe it's because I'm a “bleeding heart “Liberal. I'd like to think it's just because I'm a human being, but my first thought was that there was a man living in a cardboard box in the woods not one thousand yards from my heated home. I had never knocked on the outside of a cardboard box before to announce myself to its resident, but my mother had always said it was polite to knock.


After the ten minutes required to convince a bewildered Joseph that I was not going to hurt him, I explained that a freeze was coming that night. Another ten minutes finally convinced him that his one blanket was not enough to keep him warm, especially since what he was calling a blanket was really just a beach towel. I had a spare room, a hot shower, a clean change of clothes, and a hot meal. More importantly I had an extra bed in a heated house, and he was welcome to stay there until the freeze passed. The details required an extra half an hour, but in the end Joseph did relent.


Was he dirty? Oh yeah! But that's what showers are for. Did his clothes smell? Like the fermented wrong end of a dumpster! But that's what washing machines are for. Did I hide the kitchen knives? Sadly, yes I did. I also locked my bedroom door, but I slept knowing that at least this one fellow human being would not freeze to death for want of my minimal effort. It was a good sleep.


Joseph left the next morning after donning his cleaned clothes and leaving the ones I had given him neatly folded on the bed. He came back the next night, as I had told him to, and for the next three nights until the freeze had passed. I learned that his only remaining family consisted of two married sisters in the Carolinas, and he didn't know the married surnames of either. He had been a patient in a mental health facility in North Carolina when politics had put him out on the street. He had walked most of the way to Florida, because he remembered it was warm.


Let me say that again. He had WALKED most of the FIVE HUNDRED MILES to Florida, because he remembered it was warm! Most of the few people who had given him a ride hitchhiking had stopped and let him back out. They had apologized, but said he smelled. Eventually, he had given up and just kept walking. I contacted every mental health organization I could find, and many who I only found because they were referred by others. They were all completely swamped with Josephs, all of whom had remembered it was supposed to be warm.


Joseph left the wood some months later. The box dissolved in the rain, and I carried the last of it to a dumpster. I have no idea what ever became of him, but I wonder every time I see someone with that stare. That hurt and hopeless stare of the lost and forgotten. It is the look of someone who knows themselves to be totally alone.


I don't relate this for my own sake. I did very little in the grand scheme of things. I relate the incident in the hope that some of you may realize that often even “very little” can help very much. There are still thousands of Josephs out there, particularly at this time of year. They have come because they heard Florida is supposed to be warm. Find them. It isn't hard, just look at the people you don't normally make eye contact with.


If all of us do even a little, together we can help a lot. We can prove that Florida is not warm in the winter because of its geographical location, but rather due to the warmth of its collective heart. This is a season of giving for people of most religious persuasions as well as many with none at all. It is also a time when the name Joseph has particular meaning. So in between counting the shopping days left until Christmas and trying to find the best sales, find a Joseph. Help a Joseph. 'Tis the Season. Who knows, with luck we may even learn to remember all the Josephs during the other seasons as well.


May what ever God you embrace, embrace you as well, and may you learn from the example and embrace others in turn. Merry Christmas, Joseph. I hope you are well.

No comments: