My Native Tongue

Anyone who has ever traveled to a foreign country where theirs is not the prevalent language, has probably noticed that they can hear their mother tongue spoken even across a crowded and noisy room. My ears are keener still, for I can hear my native tongue spoken from 4 blocks away! My native tongue is Bullshit. When, in the same foreign country, a native of that land tries to converse with you in your own language, you appreciate the effort, regardless of how clumsy their attempt may be. After a while, however, even the most polite traveler, may note that prolonged exposure to the butchering of their mother tongue tends to grate on one's ear. In this, I am no different. While I appreciate those of you who try to speak proper Bullshit to me, after successive clumsy attempts, it does offend my ear. For this reason, I shall try to confine my musings to English, but, should I occasionally lapse into my Native Tongue, please, bear with me and do not feel obliged to join me on a similar linguistic tangent. If this note offends you, you should probably leave now, before my thoughts on Religion and Politics cause you serious distress.

Tears and Rage

When I was a child I was taught of America. It was a Fabled Land where the milk and honey of Freedom ran in the streets, conceived by an idealistic people who, having felt themselves oppressed for so long, rose up and threw out their oppressors. It was born of a miracle of courage and determination that led landed gentry and peasant farmers, merchants and tradesmen, Protestants and Catholics to see beyond their personal differences, band together, and rise up as one, declaring to the world, "We will bear the yoke of tyranny no more!" And I believed. From the spacious skies to the amber waves of grain, I believed. I was fortunate enough to be able to travel this land from sea to shining sea, and I believed. Then I saw poverty and hunger. I saw ignorance and bigotry. I saw hatred. I asked how these could exist in such a glorious and just land, and, much like the boy who could not see the Emperor's New Clothes, I was shushed. So I did as I was told, and I was quiet. I did as I has been taught, and I believed. I still do. The words that will follow in this place do not evince any change in that belief. Rather, it is as a result of that belief that I feel compelled to write them now. If you have known something precious when it was bright and new, and then you see it tarnished and worn, even cast down in the mud and trampled upon, do you not weep to see its abuse and do everything in your power to lift it up and repair it as best you can? If you know that abuse to be deliberate, do you not feel rage? I see this Fabled Land, once a shining beacon in the night to the oppressed throughout the world, now tarnished and soiled. Her noble flag, woven of hope in the face of despair, and defended with the blood of her Heroes, that blessed Star Spangled Banner, I see now tattered and worn. I weep to see these abuses, and I would repair them. I see the sacred parchments of "We the People" and the precious ideals they espouse cast down in the mud and wantonly trampled. I see the very precepts upon which this nation was founded twisted and betrayed for personal gain, and I rage! This does not mean that my belief has been lessened. My Faith in this nation and that for which it once stood is stronger than ever. It is those things for which it has been made to stand that give me pause. It is the flagrant usurpation of individual freedoms, once held so dear, that move me to tears. It is the brazen betrayal of the public trust for political and financial gain which leads me to rage! I am not moved to such strong emotions by any weakening of my belief, but rather by its strength. I still believe. But I also still see, and, unlike that child who questioned so long ago, I will no longer be shushed. The Emperor has NO new clothes! In fact, he's stealing yours! These are my tears. This is my rage. Where, in the name of all that is right, and just, and decent, are yours?

Saturday, December 2, 2006

The Last Crime of Man

These are the Times of Man.
These are the Crimes of Man.

From the shopping malls
To the city halls,
In the asphalt and concrete,
The face of Death
Leaves its putrid breath
On our every city street.

It’s a deadly gas
As the cars roar past,
And a fog that would turn the sun
Into a pale glow
That would barely show
The horrid things that are yet to come,

It’s the poisons we mine
And then leave behind,
Lasting years after man has gone,
Killing the plants
That had such little chance
In their struggle to live on.

These are the Times of Man.
These are the Crimes of Man
Grim Reaper with a bloody blade,
A maniac who would kill
What Nature had made.
These are the Crimes of Man.
These are the Times of Man.

In this dismal place
In a tiny space
That was all Man cared to give,
A speck of green
Came upon the scene
To carry on the fight to live.

Through the walls of smoke
With such little hope,
The last lone tree fought on,
Until the day
When the tree turned gray,
And we knew all hope was gone.

These are the Times of Man.
These are the Crimes of Man.
Cruel vulture with an Evil heart,
A deadly butcher who would kill.
What Nature would start.
These are the Crimes of Man.
These are the Times of Man.

The rumors were heard,
But they were thought absurd;
I was the only one who cried
When the newscaster said
As he shook his head,
It’s reported the Last Tree just died.

It was in the Time of Man.
The Last Crime of Man
To end the Time of Man.




Fall of '86

No comments: